the President of the Republic of Lithuania, Gitanas NausÄda
To the Speaker of the Seimas, Viktoras Pranckietis
To members of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania
To the Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania, Saulius Skvernelis
To the Minister of Justice, Elvinas JankeviÄius
27 September 2019
In response to the decision of the Seimas (Parliament) of the Republic of Lithuania to not grant the status of state recognized religious association to the Religious Association of Ancient Balts Romuva (hereafter Romuva) on 27 June 2019, the Lithuanian Society for the Study of Religions hereby expresses its grave concerns regarding compliance of this decision to the main principles of the rule of law and democracy and the upholding of human rights, as well as the implementation of the principle of separation of state and religion.Continue reading
You can find the programme and the book of abstracts of the upcoming international conferenceĀ of the Lithuanian Society for the Study of
Religions “Religion(s) and Power(s)” below. The conference is co-organized by the Estonian Society for the Study of Religions, the Latvian Society for the Study of Religion. The Conference has been financially supported by the Research Council of Lithuania.
The conference will be held on October 5-6, 2017 at Vytautas Magnus University in Kaunas, Putvinskio str. 23.
- Religion(s) and Power(s) – 2017 Conference Programme
- Religion(s) and Power(s) – 2017 Conference Abstract Book
A poster for the conference is also available for download below:
Religion(s) and Power(s)
Vytautas Magnus University, Kaunas, Lithuania
October 5-6, 2017
The Lithuanian Society for the Study of Religions in cooperation with Latvian Society for the Study of Religions and Estonian Society for the Study of Religions invites proposals for its upcoming international conference āReligion(s) and Power(s)ā. To encourage new directions in the critical research of interrelations of religion(s) and power(s) from a broad range of approaches, we are seeking proposals on a wide range of topics including:
- Private and public religions;
- Religions and politics;
- Non-religion and power;
- Religious inequalities and discrimination;
- Religions, human rights and justice;
- Powers of/within religions;
- Religion and nationalism;
- Mythology, divine kinship and power;
- Religion and colonialism;
- Religions and education.
Other topics related to the conference theme are also encouraged.
Conference paper and session proposals must be sent by June 15, 2017. Please send your 250-300 word abstract and a 200-word personal bio to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important conference dates:
- June 15, 2017 ā submission of conference papers and sessions proposals;
- July 15, 2017 ā notification of paper/session proposal acceptance;
- July 15, 2017 ā opening of registration for the conference;
- August 15, 2017 ā closing of registration for the conference;
- September 1, 2017 ā announcement of the conference program.
Conference Registration Fees:
- Members of national associations of Baltic States associations for the study of religions ā 30 EUR;
- Permanent/full-time faculty and non-affiliated participants ā 80 EUR;
- Graduate students and emeritus faculty ā 50 EUR;
- Late bird conference fee ā 100 EUR.
Abstracts of the conference, that is starting in Vilnius tomorrow, are now published online.
3rd International Scientific Conference of the Lithuanian Society for the Study of Religions
LIFE HERE AND HEREAFTER: BELIEFS AND PRACTICES
October 23-24, 2015
with Vilnius University and Vytautas Magnus University
23-24 October, 2015
with Vilnius University and Vytautas Magnus University
Call for Papers
Life here and hereafter is considered to be one of the core concerns of an individual throughout the history of humanity. Quest for the meaning of life, role of death, possibilities of life after death are challenged with a broad scope of perceptions, reflections and expressions among various spiritual and religious traditions, emerging spiritualities, groups and individuals.
This conference addresses the topic of life here and hereafter and focuses on beliefs and practices of diverse origins, their formation, spread and expressions. It also focuses on the past and current representations of the phenomenon in specific regions and worldwide, discussing its diverse manifestations and changes concerning institutional and individual religiosities on (trans)national and (trans)regional levels.
The conference welcomes both empirical and theoretical contributions from various disciplines, as well as interdisciplinary approaches towards beliefs and practices within the domain of life here and hereafter. Of particular interest are those that combine perspectives and methods drawn from all social sciences and humanities on historical, present, and newly emerging approaches towards conceptions, manifestations and representations, as well as research methods, issues and problems, and new directions in studies of this phenomenon.
The 3rd Conference of the Lithuanian Society for the Study of Religions Life Here and Hereafter: Beliefs and Practices will be held on October 23-24, 2015 at Vilnius University, Vilnius. We welcome scholars from religious studies, sociology, anthropology, philosophy, psychology, political science, and other disciplines to contribute to historical and contemporary studies of the role and manifestations of the phenomenon of life here and hereafter, in this way enriching its academic understandings. We expect individual paper proposals as well as panel proposals with three to four presentations.
We invite papers and panels including, but not limited to the following topics:
- Methodological implications, challenges and issues;
- Life here and hereafter and their socio-cultural representations;
- Death and dying related beliefs and practices;
- Divinations, predictions and prophecies;
- The role of individuals and institutions in practices related to beliefs in life here and hereafter;
- Life here, hereafter and cultural memory;
- Life here and hereafter: religious and secular approaches;
- Life, dying and afterlife in traditional religious groups and churches in the past and in the 21st century;
- Life here and hereafter within contemporary spirituality, individual religiosity, combined forms of organized and individual religions;
- Institutional arrangements, development and changes of beliefs and practices within the domain of life here and hereafter;
- Afterlife and social imagination;
- Life here and hereafter in the public sphere;
- Life here and hereafter in the popular culture.
Please submit a 250-300 words abstract of your presentation accompanied by a short CV by e-mail to: email@example.com by July 1, 2015. If you are interested in another topic related to the study of life here and hereafter, we encourage you to organize a session/panel. In this case, please submit a 200-300 words proposal by July 15, 2013 to the same email address.
- Submission of paper and session/panel proposals ā July 1, 2015.
- The authors of accepted proposals will be notified by July 15, 2015.
- Notification of acceptance and opening of the registration ā July 15, 2015.
- The final date of the registration for the conference āSeptember 15, 2015.
- Final program ā September 20, 2015
Conference fee (50 Euro) may be paid by bank transfer or in cash (not by card) at the registration desk.
The costs of travel and lodging should be covered by the participants.
Participants of the conference will be offered excursion in Vilnius city.
Organisers: dr. EglÄ AleknaitÄ (Vytautas Magnus University), assoc. prof. Milda AliÅ”auskienÄ (Vytautas Magnus University), prof. Audrius Beinorius (Vilnius University), assoc. prof. AuÅ”ra PaÅ¾ÄraitÄ (Vilnius University), dr. Rasa PranskeviÄiÅ«tÄ (Vytautas Magnus University), prof. EgdÅ«nas RaÄius (Vytautas Magnus University), assoc. prof. Annika Hvithamar (Copenhagen University).
Any conference related queries are to be sent to the conference email address. More information is available at http://en.religijotyra.lt/
Please feel free to spread this message.
To see updates, see the Conference 2015 page.
The conference will take place in Kaunas, Lithuania, April 24-27, 2014. The deadline for paper proposals is 15 November 2013. Continue reading
The 2nd National Conference of Lithuanian Society for the Study of Religions āINTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES OF RELIGIONS IN LITHUANIA: PROBLEMS AND TENDENCIESā will take place onĀ October 26, 2012 at Vilnius University Senate Hall, located on the main building of Vilnius University, University st. 3, Vilnius.
In memoriam Gintaras BeresneviÄius (1961-2006), the founder of contemporary studies of religions in Lithuania and first chairman of Lithuanian Society for the Study of Religions.
The publication of the programme of the second national conference of Lithuanian Society for the Study of Religions has been supported by Research Council of Lithuania. Project āExpansion of Religious Studies in Lithuania and Abroadā, agreement No. ACO-06/2012.